Football - 26/06/06

Never thought I'd end up blogging about the WC football on in Germany at the moment. The abbreviation WC is entirely appropriate.

The only team representing the United Kingdom at the championships is England. Scotland, Wales nor Northern Ireland qualified. I am just plain appalled at the stupid and bl**dy minded attitude that pervades this country at the moment. Last week, a boy of 7 and a disabled man were severely beaten for wearing an England strip on the streets of Scotland. Last night, England flags were torn down from a house in Aberdeen (Scotland) and burned. Questions are being asked of Scots people if they support England. It is such an inflammatory attitude, which has already led to violence. England represents the UK, I would think. So, I would say it is only normal that people north of the border may want to wear an England strip, have an English flag on their cars or just show support for the team. It is everybody's prerogative, obviously, to support or NOT, as the case may be.

Generally, over the years, I have grown to dislike football. I am just heartily fed up with being bombarded with one footballer's broken metatarsal, or the endless litany of excuses why the match was lost. I enjoy a good match - but I think the modern day football player is a grossly overpaid pansy.

I mentioned in yesterday's diary entry that the Portugal - Holland match was not so much notable for its 1-0 scoreline rather than the shower of yellow and red cards - 16 yellow and 4 reds. Not much of a match, and I'm determined to see nor hear anymore from the tournament. Eugh.

No comments: